About Me

My photo
I am Sirma, a LinkedIn girl who enjoys little colorful tiny bits, summer, my lovely dog Bruno, friends, international politics, baking, social media, handcraft, this and that. In permanent beta & currently having the fun of her life in California :)

ShareThis

02 April 2014

Golden State of Mind


As of today it has been a month since I moved to San Francisco. I already feel like I always lived here. You know the feeling you get when you are where you meant to be? It is exactly what I feel. I belong here. I belonged here even before I moved here for good. In each business trip to San Francisco I knew one day I would live here.

I am over the moon that one day happened. Of course the experience you get on your trips and actually living here is different.

First of all, lets get it straight. My hair obviously behaves differently between Irish and Californian weather. I got to learn how to tame it quickly (needed to buy a strong hair dryer!). The second point I got to learn fast was replacing the umbrella I had to carry around all four seasons in Ireland with sunglasses. So, actually sunglasses are more than an accessory here and it finally makes sense that I have 4 pair of sunglasses (and can get even more!).


When it comes to daily life you can't standardize it. There is something new everyday. Many random people, places, events, scenes... So many times when you are walking down on the street which is in no particular area of the city or even popular, you see things that makes you smile. The houses are different than each other, yet in a great harmony. There are paintings on the walls, sidewalks,  balloons, fans, lights, hanging down the trees and electric wires, there is color everywhere in a way that doesn't stick into your eye.

There is variety in this city. In so many aspects, in so many levels. Maybe it all occurs to me because Dublin was a small city compared to a standard city size. It is an island after all. It will always be my tiny, cosy, lucky charm. A place I called home for 4,5 years. A special place in my heart. But the things I have here,  the variety of options and liveliness of the city reassures me that this city is more "me". 

Every neighborhood has a personality. You try to find the best that matches your lifestyle; because you know that will be the first thing people ask you when you meet them. You are identified with it like the color of your eye and your name. So you gotta be careful what you want people to think of you. 


I am excited and hopeful for all the things this city will bring to me. I know I found the one. 

I was out to brunch with my cousin last Saturday right before our furniture and home store marathon for my new apartment and I found how I would summarize this city. It was written on a big white wall. I didn't pay attention at first glance, but when I looked up once again, it did strike my attention and I couldn't have said it better myself:






0 twinkle:

Post a Comment